Weekend Report November 12th & 13th 2016

  • November 14, 2016


U14s went down 36-12 to a strong Killarney side today in Aghadoe. Despite the score line a hard fought and exciting game. Killorglin try scorers were James Treacy and Conall Whelan. Conor Spillane converted one.


Killorglin U16 Travelled to Castleisland last Saturday. Killorglin got off to a great start with early pressure on Castleisland and punished them with three unanswered penalties. Castleisland scored a penalty and 5 mins later converted a try on the stroke of Half time. Castleisland scored again after resuming play and later stretched the lead with a penalty. Killorglin went chasing the game with a score line of Castleisland 20 – 9 Killorglin. Killorglin with sustained pressure crossed the line at full time and failed to convert leaving a final score Castleisland 20 – Killorglin 14. Killorglin play Listowel in the next round Sunday 11:30 Ballymallis.



Killorglin travelled to Castleisland on Sunday 13th November in sixth league match of the season to play the combined Castleisland and Abbeyfeale team. Conditions were excellent and Killorglin kicked off after unexpected delays held up kick off for 30 minutes. Killorglin dominated all the first half but found it hard to pierce a strong defence. The only scores in the first 30 minutes were two well struck penalties by Jim Sugrue for a slim 6 – 0 lead. On the 30th minute from a strong attack the ball was passed to Rory Williams on the 22. He cut in sharply and was just stopped before scoring. However, a rapid recycle saw Oisin Daly pass to Mike O’Connor who took a low pass well to crash over wide on the left. Jim Sugrue hit a brilliant conversion to leave Killorglin leading 13 – 0 at half time.

A lengthy half time break ensued due to the use of the pitch by the Air Corps for an air lift of an injured person (nothing to do with match). This certainly affected Killorglin’s concentration as they started the second half very slowly and couldn’t get out of their own half. The introduction of Mike O’Donoghue freshened up the forwards. From the visitors first attack of the half the ball ended up in Adam Brownes hands close to left hand side facing two defenders. He sold two great dummies and sprinted towards the posts to touch down unchallenged in a brilliant effort which was successfully converted by Jim Sugrue. Shortly afterwards, Killorglin played their best piece of continuity attacking through different channels. A great pick up by Charlie Joy saw the ball transferred back up the middle. Strong runs brought Killorglin close to the line. The last supporting runner was Padraig O’Sullivan who dived over to double his try count for the season with Jim converting. Several minutes later another good attack ended with Ruadhan O’Sullivan finishing strongly. The conversion hit the post and bounced back. Killorglin brought on Ciaran Foley and David Polifka to freshen up the team. The last ten minutes played out with the home team on the attack but unable to penetrate the Killorglin defence leaving the final score 32 – 0 to Killorglin. We have a break next week and next league match on Saturday 26th November away to Charleville.


It was the Killorglin’s first outing of the season in the Junior Martin O’Sullivan cup. They welcomed Douglas-Carrigaline to Ballymallis on Sunday for what has regularly been a tight affair between these two teams. Killorglin started the game the better playing good open rugby and Tony Lynch made a good break from the 22 but was well tackled by the fullback. Killorglin kept pressure on but had some sloppy dropped balls and forward passes but should have gotten on the score board. It was however the Cork side who drew first blood. Killorglin conceded penalties leaving Douglas-Carrigaline down the field and getting a warning from the referee about discipline. Douglas-Carrigaline kicked a penalty and it was 0-3 after 20 mins. Killorglin struck back straight away however and when they got the ball out to the left they set Cathal Doyle free and he finished well and managed to touch down under the posts for his first try at senior level which was converted.

Douglas-Carrigaline came back down however and while on the attack Killorglin conceded another penalty for going off their feet and Emmet O’Connor was sent to the sin bin.Douglas-Carrigaline kicked again and it was 7-6 which was how it would end at half time.
Douglas-Carrigaline started better when a knock on inside the Killorglin 22 landed in the hands of the men in green and good hands to the left got Douglas-Carrigaline over. The conversion was kicked well and Douglas-Carrigaline led 13-6. Killorglin upped their game from here and within 5 mins had a penalty which was Luke O’Shea nailed. It wasn’t long more until they played some good ball off of a scrum in their own half and eventually worked the ball into the Douglas-Carrigaline 22 where Liam Foley received and somehow wriggled past defenders to get in for a try. O’Shea landed the ball on the crossbar and it bounced out. 15-13 to the home side. Killorglin were playing more rugby at this stage and put Douglas-Carrigaline under pressure to which point they were awarded another penalty. O’Shea kicked ahead and Killorglin had a 5 point lead.
Douglas-Carrigaline weren’t done however and headed down into the Killorglin half. Killorglin had a few mad moments and gifted some space to Douglas. Some very good hands and missed tackles by Killorglin got them in in the corner and they just knocked on over the line. They were however playing an advantage for offside and they opted to kick the ball over the bar to make it a two point game.
Killorglin went on the attack again but Douglas-Carrigaline were holding on well until a clearing kick came to Cathal Doyle which he struggled to catch first time. He did well however when he spun out of the tackle and sprinted for the line breaking through another tackle at the line and touching down under the posts once more. Killorglin leading 25 – 16 which is how it ended. Killorglin through to the semi of this competition against Killarney next month.