Weekend Report November 5th & 6th 2016

  • November 8, 2016


Killorglin hosted Corca Dhuibhne on Saturday 5th November in fifth league match of the season. Corca Dhuibhne arrived short a few players so Killorglin gave the required numbers to balance the teams. Any sense of complacency that may have been in the home teams mind was banished by a strong start from the visitors who scored after 5 minutes for the lead. This gave the required jolt to our players who increased their intensity and took control of the game  and in particular the set pieces. Following a Daire O’Sullivan inspired turnover, a flowing move in the backs led to Adam Browne touching down in the corner followed by a brilliant conversion by Jim Sugrue. Shortly after the ball was moved wide on the left at half way to Padraig Ahern who evaded would be tacklers all the way to touching down under the posts. Killorglin were now moving well and after Charlie Joy was twice held up short, Jim Sugrue touched down under the posts. This was followed by another try from a forwards turnover leading to Ruadhan O’Sullivan strolling through to touchdown.

Corca Dhuibhne kept their heads up and dominated a good part of the final quarter and were rewarded with a try in the right corner. However, Killorglin had the last word. A well executed line out saw ball off the top passd to the out half. With two dummy runners taking different lines, Jim kept the ball himself and swooped in under the posts untouched for an excellent try. Darragh O’Shea claimed the conversion to leave the final score as Killorglin 35 Corca Dhuibhne 10.

Next week Killorglin travel to play Castleisland / Abbeyfeale away.



The men from Killorglin headed to Fermoy this week for a top of the table clash to decide who would be top of the league outright and it was Killorglin who came away with the four points but it was a tough one to say the least. This game was always going to be tight as they have been when the two teams have met during the last few years. Killorglin started the better and had a penalty close to the posts after 5 minutes. Luke O’Shea just pulled it to the left. He was to get another chance however 5 minutes later in front of the posts and Killorglin led 3 – 0.

Fermoy wasted no time in getting back up the pitch however through a couple of poor penalties conceded by the Kerry side. They slotted the resulting kick and the scores were level again. Both teams were making some big hits in what was a bruising affair with some excellent rugby on display particularly in both teams lineout’s. Killorglin were playing most of the rugby but Fermoy gained possession around halfway and got the ball to the right winger who shipped off two tackles and was clear for the line. He showed good pace to make it to the line. The conversion was unsuccessful and the score stood at 8-3. This is how it stood at half time. Killorglin in north cork once more trailing at half time.
They knew they had to up their game but they weren’t the only ones to do so. Fermoy upped the intensity of their game and started to play more rugby taking the game to Killorglin and trying to turn the screw to secure the win. The ball stayed between the two 22s for the first 15 – 20 mins of the second half until Killorglin got a chance when attacking through the middle and Fermoy conceded a penalty for a high tackle. The referee felt he had no choice and sent the Fermoy replacement back row to the sin bin. Luke O’Shea kicked it this time and there was 2 points in it.
Killorglin failed to secure the restart and Fermoy were camped in the Killorglin 22 where they stayed for some time. Fermoy really put pressure on Killorglin going at them narrow and wide to try and punch a hole but to no avail. With two points in it and 15 mins to go Fermoy had a penalty 30 mts out. When everyone was expecting a kick at goal Fermoy opted for the touchline where Killorglin defended well and would count themselves lucky not to have conceded 3 points.
So with 5 minutes left after Killorglin had gained some ground and moved up the pitch through two penalties. With 5 minutes remaining Killorglin were awarded a penalty within range and Luke O’Shea elected to kick it. Placed the ball and nailed it. 9-8 and 4 to go.
Fermoy had one more go. They got all the way as far the Killorglin line and huffed and puffed to try and get over. Some absolutely heroic defending by the boys in blue kept Fermoy out until finally Timmy Lynch managed to steal the ball. Killorglin kicked the ball dead from the resulting ruck and somehow they had won it. A great win after a great game from both teams. Fermoy played very well and can count them selves unlucky to have lost the game. Killorglin move on in the league to play Douglas/Carrigaline in a league and cup double header at Ballymalis on Sunday 13th November KO is at 2:30. Hope to see everyone there.