Weekend Report February 18th & 19th 2017

  • February 22, 2017

Another busy weekend for KRFC as we had several teams in action.

U8’s, U10’s & U12’s

Our U8’s U10’s and U12’s hosted Chorca Dhuibhne is a series of friendlies at the Cromane Community Pitch.  The matches were played in a great spirit, the players gave it their all in both attack and defense.

The last time Corca Duibhne visited our U8’s and U10’s, Dylan scored the try of the season to level the game at 50 all.
This time around, Leanne scored a worthy contender for that award midway through the game, stretching
and twisting all four feet of her to dot one handed over the line, whilst being double tackled. Though
not the last second, it contributed to another epic 40 points each, with Corca Duibhne levelling in
the last second.

Led by Brian, who multi scored yet again, we also had tries by Leanne, Tomas, Colm and Chris.  The most
pleasing aspect was our passing, with Odhran in particular outstanding in linking the play. Dylan, Myles, Luke, Eddie and Karen again got through a huge workload for the team that doesn’t go unnoticed

This was the 3rd meeting of our U12’s and Chorca Dhuibhne this season. There were plenty of try’s scored by both teams, the  six man scrum was hard fought, the coaching session last Thursday given by Ray Godson on scrums was put to good use. With a panel of 18 the substitution bench was busy.

Thanks to all the parents for their generosity with the refreshments afterwards it was greatly appreciated

Next week we travel to Cahersieven for a blitz with Iveragh RFC

P.S.  Anyone ever hear of chocolate chip soda bread? No? Me neither – yum! For recipe, please contact John Orme.


Killorglin U16’s were on the road again last Sunday when they traveled to Bruff in the Munster U16 Cup Competition. Killorglin scored the opening try to settle in to the game, however Bruff’s large pack and big ball carriers were no match for the Killorglin forwards proving difficult to stop. There was no lack of commitment from Killorglin as they tackled hard throughout the game and gave Bruff plenty to think about. Bruff ran out worthy winners in the end. That sees an end to Killorglin’s cup campaign proving valuable experience in Munster top flight rugby, where they can measure themselves against the best in the province.


Our Seniors took the long journey to Fethard for the semi final of the Munster Junior Bowl. Killorglin started strong with a good scrum in Fethard territory however soon found themselves pinned in their own end and giving away a penalty in front of the posts. Fethard opted for the easy kick and 3 points to take the lead. The game saw several exchanges in possession before a scuffle broke out. As the ref didn’t see the encounter, players were warned to keep the game clean. A high tackle from Fethard and good kick from Luke O’Shea gave Killorglin a line out 15 meters from Fethard’s line. Great defense from Fethard saw Killorglin concede a penalty and Fethard cleared their lines. Fethard earned a scrum near halfway and some quick thinking and 2 great tackles from Kyle Byrne stopped Fethard’s advance. Killorglin were then caught offside, giving Fethard another chance for 3 more points, luckily for the men from Puck the kick went wide. As the first half was coming to a close tempers started to rise, the ref had had enough and showed yellow to both teams. Fethard converted 1 more penalty before the half time whistle giving the home side the 6-0 lead.

Not long into the second half Fethard were penalized for a tip tackle and shown yellow, Killorglin looked for a score but a strong Fethard defense kept them out. With 1o minutes left on the clock a kick from Fethard was knocked on deep in Killorglin territory a favourable bounce for the home side, it was collected by an onrushing Fethard winger and a quick pass and good drive saw them over the line. The conversion was good which brought the scoreline to 13-0 to Fethard. All looked lost for Killorglin, however they did get some consolation when a Cathal Doyle got over the line after a great team effort to work the ball up the pitch. Luke O’Shea nailed the difficult conversion however time ran out and the game finished 13-7 to the home side.

The seniors next game is March 5th v Bantry RFC at home in Ballymalis, for the first game of the playoff. We hope to see you all there.