Weekend Report February 11th & 12th 2017

  • February 14, 2017

Another busy weekend for KRFC as we had 3 teams in action.

U 14’s

After narrowly missing out back west the U14’s had a point to prove when Corca Dhuibhne came to Cromane on Saturday morning.  The visitors are a passing team but they were put immediately under pressure by a quick Killorglin line and aggressive tackling and counter rucking.  When the home team got hold of the ball there was some great power running, fast ruck ball and support play.  Killorglin led 19-0 at half time and though Corca Dhuibhne did cross the line once, Killorglin were not going to be stopped and drove on to finish the game at 34-7.  Killorglin try scorers were Aona OShea, JP Courtney, Conor Spillane and a hat trick for Conall Whelan.  Spillane converted two in windy conditions.  Derry O’Sullivan, Jack O’Brien, Donncha Crowley, James Byrne and Peadar Whelan also stood out, but play of the day was certainly Fergal O’Sheas bone shaking tackle on a Corca Dhuibhne winger to save a try. Over all it was a great team performance, we would like to dedicate the win to injured winger Finnegan O’Sullivan, we hope he has a speedy recovery and we will see him back on the pitch soon.  Next up away to Listowel for another big match.

Team: Shane O’Connor, James Prendeville, Donncha Crowley, James Byrne, Joe Cronin-Langham, Connor Spillane, Aona O’Shea, Ben ODwyer, Peadar Whelan, Derry O’Sullivan, JP Courtney, Conall Whelan(c), Jack O’Brien, Kelan Golden, Jack OLeary. Subs: Fergal OShea, Fionn Sheahan.


Killorglin Under 16’s traveled to Cobh last weekend in the U16 Munster Cup competition. Killorglin were up against it in the first half, playing into a strong wind and a noticeable incline proving difficult to get territory and attacking position. The second half Cobh used the big ball carriers to truck up the ball punching holes in the Killorglin defense. Killorglin looked threating at times with ball in hand, but errors at key moments allowed a well-seasoned Cobh side to absorb the pressure and control the game to comfortable win. Killorglin cannot be faulted for effort Killorglin with some big tackling displays to contain the score board. The U16’s are back on the road next Sunday when we travel to Bruff in the next round of the Munster U16 Cup competition.


Our seniors made the short journey to Killarney RFC for their final regular season game of the year, in search of their 8th win of the year and a league victory securing promotion to division 2.

Killorglin started on the back foot, being pinned on their own line defending against a fierce Killarney attack. Killarney earned penalty after penalty and kept opting to use their powerful scrum. Killarney eventually were awarded a penalty try and Fionn O’Shea was sent to the sin bin for a professional foul as he tried to get his hands under the ball when it crossed the try line knocking it on in the process. The conversion was successful and Killarney had the important first score of the game. Killorglin looked sharper from the restart, an over thrown Killarney line out was collected by Mike Daly who started to move up the pitch. Liam Griffin who was filling in at scrum half made excellent use of the box kick to gain territory. Killorglin earned a scrum 5 meters from Killarney line and swung the ball out wide hammering the Killarney line. Tony Lynch crashed the line and nearly got through, Luke O’Shea quickly dug the ball out of the ruck and with a sneaky pop pass to an on rushing Brian Hayes Killorglin got over the line. The conversion was narrowly missed but Killorglin were back in the game. Killarney weren’t done yet and they pursued territory and managed to get over Killorglin’s line again just before the half. Halftime score read Killarney 14 Killorglin 12.

Killorglin were going to need a big second half to get back into the game. Once again they started on the back foot as Emmet O’Connor was shown yellow for a high tackle. A good kick from Luke O’Shea and a chase from Liam Foley forced Killarney to kick into touch deep in their own half. From the line out, Killorglin used the maul well and found themselves just a meter short of Killarney’s try line, as the ball was presented at the back of the ruck Fionn O’Shea found room and dove over the try line for his second try of the year. Brother Luke converted and the scoreline read 14-12 in favour of Killarney. With 25 minutes left on the clock Killorglin were searching for their next score. Unfortunately the next score was awarded to Killarney when they touched down their 3rd try right near the touch line. The conversion was missed and the scoreline red 19-12. Killorglin narrowed Killarney’s lead to 4 points when Luke O’Shea’s dropped goal attempt sailed through the posts. Unfortunately it was too little too late as the clock ticked down Killorglin never threated the Killarney line again and Killarney were awarded with their bonus point try in the final play of the game. A heartbreaking loss for the lads from Puck but they will search for promotion through the playoff. This team has done their club proud and still have plenty left to play for.

Next up the Senior’s make the journey to Fethard for the semi final of the Munster Junior Bowl on February 19th.