Weekend Match Reports January 12th & 13th 2019

  • January 15, 2019


The U16s were away to Charleville in the first round of the Munster Bowl on Saturday.  Playing in cold and windy but dry conditions Killorglin just edged this one on a scoreline of 5 points to 7.  The first half was a stop start affair with defences on top and play frequently interrupted by penalties and handling errors.  The referee didn’t much like Killorglin’s vigorous approach to the ruck and to make matters worse Charleville’s good scrum and lineout work made for limited possession.  The Killorglin defence remained firm but despite playing with the wind the score at half time remained 0 -0 with Killorglin reduced to 14 with a man in the sin bin.  In the second half the home team kicked repeatedly for territory and after camping on the Killorglin 5 meter line for a protracted period and being awarded multiple penalties eventually broke the deadlock to touch down, but were unable to convert.  Killorglin struck back and worked up the field several times with strong carrying from Rudy Glinwood, Darragh Mangan, Conall Whelan and Ruari Dorrian, but each time moves broke down with knock-ons or penalties and Charleville kicked all the way back into the Killorglin 22.  Killorglin kept soaking up the pressure with Jack O’Leary, Peadar Whelan, Donncha Crowley and Jack O’Brien doing great defensive work.  Killorglin eventually got a reward for their efforts when a turnover in the tackle was spread quickly to Derry O’Sullivan on the wing who broke through the line deep in his own half, ran the length of the field, handing off the cover along the way, and touched town under the Charleville posts go give Shane O’Connor a straightforward conversion.  5 -7 with 15 minutes to go. There was last minute drama when Charleville were awarded a very kickable penalty on the Killorglin 22, but the attempt came back off the crossbar into Killorglin possession and stayed there through a number of phases until time was up and Aona O’Shea kicked to touch to finish the game.

Team: Joe Cronin Langham, Ruari Dorrian,, Darragh Mangan, Donncha Crowley, Derry OSullivan,, Shane O’Connor, Aona O’Shea , Mike Teahan, Peadar Whelan, Rudy Glinwood, Jack OLeary, JP Courtney, James Prendiville, Jack O’Brien, Conall Whelan (C). Subs: Kevin O’Callaghan, Tim Casey, Cathal Daly, Kealan O’Connor, Fergal O’Shea



The combined team of Cashel/Fethard traveled to Ballymalis to face the combined Killorglin/Killarney team in the first round of the pan Munster u18 plate.

The home team had suffered some close and undeserved defeats before the break but they got their reward on Sunday with a 27 -12 win over the Tipperary side.
The first try came from Aaron Houlihan after some good play including great hands and smart kick chase had gotten them camped on their opponents line while playing against a strong breeze. Killorglin/Killarney came close with pick and drives and finally a clever pass from Oisin Daly set Houlihan up for the try. A good effort with the conversion against the wind was unsuccessful. It was to be the only score of the half despite some great rugby from the home team.
Killorglin/Killarney struck again early in the second half when they picked from a scrum inside the opposition 22 and again Daly picked the right pass and Adam Walsh scored in the corner. Jack Evans nailed the conversion from the right touchline. 12 – 0 to the hosts.
Cashel Fethard struck back soon afterwards, after sustained pressure on their line and some heroic defending and with huge tackling the visitors finally got over out wide. The conversion was missed the lead was at 7.
Killorglin struck back minutes later great tackling won them a penalty 35 metres out in the middle of the pitch. Jack Evans slotted it for 3 points. Cashel/Fethard struck again when a couple of penalties led to a 5 metre lineout. The home team were judged by the referee to have committed 2 fouls at the resulting maul and he awarded a penalty try. 15 – 12 and game on.
The home team scored a great team try not long after with great play from what seemed like the whole team and Gary Randles scored in the corner. The home team weren’t finished and once they had forced a turnover in midfield they again played the ball through the hands and Steve Sealey got on the end of the move and scored under the posts. A well deserved win and an outstanding team performance from a team that really deserved a victory.
Next up a trip to Musgrave park to play Sunday’s well


Killorglin opened the scoring inside the first 5 minutes with Mike Breen touching down in the corner after a good team effort pressuring the Douglas/Carrigaline line. The conversion attempt was carried by the wind and went just wide. Killorglin looked to be on their way when they touched down a second try quickly after the first however it was called back for a double movement.
Douglas/Carrigaline fought back and were rewarded with a try and conversion of their own and led 7-5. Killorglin responded well with an excellent kick and chase by Kevin Courtney to put them deep in Douglas/Carrigaline territory. Killorglin used the width of the pitch and got the ball to Darragh O’Shea who showed great strength and creativity to get over the line. Luke O’Shea added the spares so bring the scoreline to 12-7 to the men from Puck. Killorglin found themselves with a scrum about 10 meters from the Douglas/Carrigaline line and a nifty play off the back of the scrum saw Luke O’Shea find space and touched down the teams 3rd try. Killorglin went into halftime leading 17-7.
The second half started slowly with each team making handling errors and silly mistakes. Killorglin again got on the board with their bonus point try after good work and great strength from Cian Foley in the lineout got within inches of the try line, Dave Hayden finished off the effort for his second try of the season.
Douglas responded well with a try of their own, the conversion was wide bringing the scoreline to 22-12. Killorglin went on the hunt for one last score and found it with a great line was taken by Rob Lynch and a quick pop pass from Luke O’Shea into his path saw him crash over. The conversion was successful by O’Shea to bring the final scoreline to 29-12 in favour of Killorglin


Mike Breen x 1
Darragh O’Shea x 1
Luke O’Shea x 1
Dave Hayden x 1
Rob Lynch x 1


Luke O’Shea x 2