Weekend Reports October 8 & 9, 2016

  • October 12, 2016


Charleville 7 Killorglin 24

The U16s kicked off their Pan Munster campaign with an away fixture to Charleville. Conditions were almost perfect except for a slight dew which affected handling at times. The visitors made a strong start with Cormac Doyle driving for the line after running onto an offload. The ball was recycled and Jack Hallissey crashed over after 5 mins with Jack Evans converting from a tight angle. Jack Hallissey, Jamie O’Leary and Chris Scannell made some great carries throughout the first half. The pressure Killorglin exerted finally took its toll and Shógie O’Sulivan set up a try for Stephen Sealy down the right hand touchline while Jack O’Sullivan was set up down the left hand side for another try, both of which were unconverted.
The second half was a very much a “stop-start” affair with both sides making numerous unforced errors. Killorglin again looked dangerous when they were inside the opposition’s half and Cian Naylor crashed over between the posts for another converted try after 5 mins. Charleville scored a converted try late on which was just rewards for their efforts.
Overall this was a good start to the season with both teams benefiting from much needed match practice. Killorglin will face a sterner test next week at home to a much fancied Tralee side.

Match Squad: Naoise Buckley, Adam Clarke, Jack Coffey, Cormac Doyle, Jack Evans, Ethan Falvey, Jack Hallissey, Nathan Houlihan, Seán Kissane, Matthew Leslie, Nathan McGillycuddy, Cian Naylor, Óisín O’Connor, Jamie O’Leary, Jack O’Sullivan, Shógie O’Sullivan, Stephen O’Sullivan, Christopher Scannell, Stephen O’Sullivan

Munster U18 Conference 4 Tralee v Killorglin

Killorglin traveled to Tralee on Saturday 8th October to play the hosts in first league match of the season. Killorglin kicked off but soon found themselves defending. Tralee put some good passages of play together and a kick through from their out half saw a touch down on the right for the first score. Killorglin competed well but couldn’t turn possession into scores against a bigger team who played very well. For all their efforts, the visitors conceded 3 more tries before half time to trail at the interval 24 – 0.
The second half saw Killorglin compete better and come close to scoring though Tralee in the meantime scored twice again. From sustained pressure Killorglin were awarded a penalty on the 5 meter line. A quick tap by scrumhalf Oisin Daly and a pass to a sprinting Jim Sugrue saw him touchdown in the corner. A great conversion attempt just hit the upright narrowly failing. Killorglin continued to compete and in the middle of a scrum advantage Eoin Doyle got the ball on half way near touch. He out sprinted the Tralee defenders for a great try BUT referee blew back for the scrum to everyone’s disappointment. We saw his pace though and he’ll get more chances to finish like this in weeks to come. The game concluded with the score Tralee 41 Killorglin 5. Next week sees a home game to Mallow. Improvement is evident and we have good hopes for the season with spirit and skill evident in all players.


Mitchelstown 15 Killorglin 17

Round two of the Munster Junior saw Killorglin go to Mitchelstown Rugby Club for the first ever meeting between the two sides as this is Mitchelstown’s first year in J1 Division 3. Killorglin were looking for their second win from two games and it was to be a hard fought four points.

Mitchelstown started the game a lot better then Killorglin and attacked the Killorglin line after 3 mins. A high tackle resulted in an easy 3 points for Mitchelstown and they had a good start for Killorglin to fight against. Killorglin rallied well for 5 minutes and brought the game to their hosts but Mitchelstowns tackles were strong and held off Killorglin’s big runners. The game was a very competitive affair with some big hits and good lineout play from both sides. Mitchelstown played the better rugby overall in the first half and were rewarded with a try down the blind side of a rolling maul after 35 minutes. Scoring the resulting conversion sent them in to half time 10 – 0. Killorglin’s only real highlight came from 18 year old Tiernan Clifford, making his senior debut, got a great pass from Luke O’Shea and rounded 4 Mitchelstown players and was just caught in time after halfway.

Killorglin came out the better team early in the second half. Luke O’Shea pinned a penalty into the corner and Killorglin mauled over from the resulting line out with Rodi Healy getting the final touch down and Luke O’Shea kicked the conversion. Game on. After 54 minutes and some further pressure from the visitors, a great block down from Timmy Lynch got Killorglin in under the posts with Brian Hayes the try scorer. After the conversion Killorglin now had the lead at 14-10 with 16 mins remaining.

Mitchelstown weren’t beaten however and 4 mins later they came down the pitch with the help of some Killorglin penalties. Good lineout play set up a strong maul and a try was always on the cards. The conversion was missed and Killorglin were chasing once more.

The game had a fair degree of niggle and when we got some cards produced we weren’t too surprised. Mitchelstown no 3 was sin binned for foul play and Killorglin’s Liam Griffin was red carded for striking. 11 1/2 mins left and Killorglin down to 14. Mitchelstown had a chance to extend their lead with a close penalty but it was just wide. Killorglin got a last chance and had ball in the last couple minutes when they moved up the pitch with some very good interplay between backs and forwards. A penalty conceded on the Mitchelstown 10 left captain Tony Lynch with a big decision. O’Shea fancied his chances and Lynch backed him. 1 point down, 1 minute to go, penalty far from the posts. The fairest way to put it is that he nailed it. Final score in Mitchelstown, 15-17. A great win on the road and a bruising encounter left the Kerry men top of the league after two games. Now to just try and stay there….

Next game is Sunday 23/10/2016 against Corca Dhuibhne in Ballymallis