KRFC Seniors v Fethard & District

  • October 10, 2016

Seniors Match Report

The J1 Division 3 kicked off this weekend with Killorglin hosting the Tipperary men from Fethard and district. This was a big game for Killorglin as when Fethard visited last year they turned over Killorglin late in the game and did some serious damage to their promotion hopes at such a late stage in the season. And with a lotof pride at stake Killorglin exacted the revenge they were looking for by beating the men from tipperary in a tough game by 21 – 14.

The day was almost perfect with the sun shining but a strong breeze picked up before the game giving strong gusts blowing towards the mill side of the pitch meaning that choice from the toss would have to be carefully thought out. Killorglin kicked off with the wind at their backs and made some good hits early on. Fethard however played well from the start and had the best chance early on. A line out on the road side of the pitch got Fethard some good ball which their backs used with a nice wrap around move putting their winger in good position on the left but Killorglin rallied well and stopped Fethard from getting the first score of the game. That honour was to go to the home team. After Killorglin cleared their lines and won the ball back they moved up the pitch with some good carries and won a penalty 22 mts out and in front of the posts. Luke O’Shea converted and Killorglin were 3-0 up. Killorglin kept the ball for a lot of this half and were using the wind at their backs very well. Both line-outs creaked early on but they can be forgiven in tough conditions so early in the season. Killorglin kicked another penalty after 20 mins but it was just wide.

After 35 mins Killorglin came on the attack. With the ball on the right side of the pitch Luke O’Shea kicked a good chip ahead which Fethard carried over their own line resulting in a Killorglin scrum 5 mts out. Afetr a few pick and drive Killorglin were held up and had to start again. From the next scrum John Michael Cronin O’Reilly was mauled over to hit off the post. Brian hayes cleverly picked the ball from the ruck and touched down at the base of the post pad. Luke O’Shea converted and Killorglin had a well deserved 10 point lead. Killorglin lead at the brake 13-0.

Early in the second half bith teams had their equal share of possession without really making any head way. First point of note was a penalty against the wind for Luke O’Shea which was just wide. Fethard then got on the score sheet. A penalty against Andrew O’Reilly for leading with the shoulder into the tackling player (which is now not allowed under new laws) resulted in Fethard getting 3 points. 13 – 3 after 58 mins. Fethard kicked another 3 points 2 minutes later after another silly penalty conceded by Killorglin and Fethard were now back in the game and playing confidently. Killorglin proceeded to concede penalty after penalty and miss more and more tackles which Fethard punished by kicking another 3 points. The score now standing at 13 – 9.

Killorglin finally managed to get their heads back in the game and started to put phases together moving into Fethard’s 22. The home team kept the ball tight and an excellent inside pass from Luke O’Shea set Tony Lynch away. He headed for the line but an excellent intervention from Fethard took him down. George Evans was fastest to the breakdown and picked the ball from Lynch, drove for the line while being tackled and managed to reach for the line. Killorglin now lead 18 -9 with 10 minutes to go.

Fethard weren’t done yet and showed great team spirit to make it down to Killorglins 22 once more, although they were helped a lot by 6 missed tackles from Killorglin. Fethard used the ball well and wore Killorglin down and got over the line on the far left. Conversion was missed and the gap was 4 points once more with 4 to go.

Killorglin managed to finish the game well though, playing smart rugby and holding on to possession. They pushed into Fethard’s 22 and got a well welcome penalty with 20 seconds remaining. Luke O’Shea nailed the kick and Killorglin were 7 point victors over a good Fethard & District team. Well done to the lads for the endeavours

KRFC Seniors are away to Mitchelstown RFC Sunday October 9th at 2:30pm