Match Reports Monday March 19th 2018

  • March 20, 2018


The under 14’s took on Listowel RFC in Listowel in a thrilling and close fought match.  Conditions were bright but also very cold, with flurries of light snow during the warm up.  The contest was tough throughout, with ferocious rucking and counter rucking from both sides.  The bigger Listowel team were on the scoreboard first when they broke through our defense to score under the posts.  Then Killorglin number 8 Derry O’Sullivan struck back with a try following good build up play from our pack.  Next Killorglin were awarded a penalty try as Aona O’Shea was high tackled as he went to touch down in the corner.  O’Sulllivan scored again for Killorglin after bursting through four or five tackles, but the home team got another try with their big runners punched holes in the Killorglin line and the score at half time was level at 19-19.  Listowel scored again following the restart and were again piling on the pressure when Killorglin knocked on in our 22.  Killorglin were giving away a lot of weight in the scrum but Mike Teahan, Peadar Whelan and Enda O’Shea in the front row somehow managed to strike this one against the head.  The Killorglin backs put it through the hands to bring play from one 22 to the other, where Derry O’Sullivan once again popped up in support to carry past the remaining cover and level the match again.   Next Killorglin took the lead with a try from Donncha Crowley, who was having an excellent game on his return from injury.  With only a few minutes remaining, Listowel stuck back with their right winger on the end of a well-judged cross field kick.  It was 29 all with the conversion to come.  Listowel took all the time available and slotted the kick to lead 31 – 29.   At this stage the Listowel support thought they had the game in the bag.  The referee said one minute left at the restart, which Listowel claimed and they worked up the field, keeping it tight, into the Killorglin half before knocking on in the tackle.  The resulting scrum was last play.  The ball was secured and went from Colin Griffin to Cillian Buckley and Aona O’Shea to set up a ruck near the halfway line. From here the ball was worked out to O’Sullivan again and he burst down the left wing breaking two or three tackles to dot down under the posts.  Colin Griffin added the conversion to leave the final score 31-36.  All the Killorglin team played their part in this win, but Ben O’Dwyer, Cathal Daly and Peadar Whelan looked good in the tight, while Enda O’Shea made a big impact off the bench.  Fergal O’Shea did some great defensive work on the left wing, and with our regular out half injured, Cillian Buckley slotted into position to steer the ship well.  The U14s are still in the hunt to retain the West Munster plate and are waiting for confirmation of the next fixture.

Killorglin Scorers: Derry O’Sullivan (4 tries), Donncha Crowley (1 try), penalty try, Cillian Buckley (1 con), Colin Griffin (1 con)

Team: Joe Cronin Langham, Tom Garry, Aona O’Shea©, Donncha Crowley, Fergal OShea, Cillian Buckley, Colin Griffin, Mike Teahan, Peadar Whelan, Kevin O’Callaghan, Cathal Daly, James Prendeville, Ben O’Dwyer, Cian O’Connor, Derry O’Sullivan. Sub: Enda O’Shea