Weekend Match Report March 9th & 10th, 2019

  • March 11, 2019


Killorglin welcomed Tralee RFC to Ballymalis on Sunday March 10th. Killorglin/Iveragh kicked off into a very strong wind. Tralee pushed hard and got over for an early try. Unfortunately Killorglin/Iveragh lost their captain and full back Colin Griffin to injury and we felt the loss throughout the game. Killorglin/Iveragh put up a good battle but Tralee were that bit too strong and got 2 more tries before half-time.
Killorglin/Iveragh started the 2nd half more confident and with the wind.  Killorglin/Iveragh were chasing the game they had some handling errors and penalties so it was Tralee who gained with there fourth try. Killorglin/Iveragh kicked off and with some hard rucking got Cillian Riordan inside our own half ran in under the post for his first try of the season. Tralee  ran out winners on a score of 24 to 7. All in all Killorglin/Iveragh played well .
A big thank you to Enda O’Shea for refereeing the game.


The U16’s went into the Munster Bowl semi-final on Saturday on the back of a seven game unbeaten run but came up just short against a well- balanced Fermoy side in a gripping game of rugby.  Played in Newcastlewest in dry but very windy conditions, Killorglin faced into the elements in a first half that was an arm wrestle for 25 minutes before Fermoy registered the first score and at half time it was 5-0.  On the restart some great hands from James Byrne unlocked the Fermoy midfield defence to put Joe Cronin-Langham in for a try in the corner to level the game.  Fermoy struck next to make it 10-5, but Killorglin kept up the pressure through the pack and were rewarded with ten minutes to go when Donncha Crowley broke through in midfield and stretched out his hand to dot down for another try.  James Byrne’s conversion put Killorglin 10-12 up, but Fermoy’s kicking game put Derry O’Sullivan under pressure on his own try line forcing the concession of a penalty.  Killorglin were too slow to organise the defence and Fermoy went over from the quick tap to take the lead 15-12 with three minutes to go. The final three minutes were nail biting stuff for both sets of supporters with Killorglin camped in the Fermoy 22 and applying a lot of pressure.  Derry O’Sullivan almost had the winning score but was tackled into touch just inches from the line.  A number of big carries were made by our pack who worked tirelessly all day, but in the end Fermoy just managed to hold out. The team are understandably disappointed but they tried hard, played with skill and intensity and were a credit to their club and coaches in a great sporting game of munster rugby. Ultimately just not quite clinical enough to win out on the day.

Final score Fermoy 15 Killorglin 12.  Try scorers: Joe Cronin Langham, Donncha Crowley.  James Byrne 1 x con.

Team: Joe Cronin Langham, Ruari Dorrian, Darragh Mangan, Donncha Crowley, Derry OSullivan, James Byrne (c) Aona O’Shea, Jack OLeary. Peadar Whelan, Rudy Glinwood, Cathal Daly, JP Courtney, James Prendiville, Jack O’Brien, Conall Whelan. Subs: Kevin O’Callaghan, Mike Teahan, Dylan McDonough, Shane O’Connor, Fergal O’Shea