Weekend Report October 22 & 23, 2016

  • October 24, 2016

Its was a busy weekend for Killorglin RFC as all teams were in action. All teams had great performances and did their club proud.

U10’s & U12’s

U12’s and U10’s had a friendly against Iveragh Eagles. The teams had a group huddle in memory of Axel Foley and a minutes silence before the match began, in which all players were very respectful and well behaved. The U12’s played their first grass-pitch match of the season. During the match lots of  5 man scrums were carried out and many tries were scored between the two teams. Lots of the players had the opportunity to practice kicking for the first time. We had a U10/U11 match to make up numbers which was successful. Big improvement on the rucking and the players were good at feeding the ball back. It was a good match overall and we can’t wait for next Saturday’s blitz in Castleisland.


The U14s travelled to Corca Dhuibhne on Saturday and had a good away win scoring seven tries in the process.  Killorglin started playing with a strong breeze.  The pack were well on top throughout giving the back line a platform to show their passing and running skills.  This soon led to the first try from centre Daragh Mangan, who would go on to record a personal tally of four on the day.  The Killorglin scrum was strong and  the second try came from a strike against the head on the Corca Dhuibhne 10m line with the ball distributed by scrum half Aona O’Shea to Connor Spillane at 10 and on to Mangan who touched down under the posts – credit for that one has to go to the front row of Mike Teahan, Peadar Whelan and Kevin O’Callaghan.  Derry O’Sullivan showed good strength to break through for an individual try and Anthony Kelliher also went over following a clever chip through from Connor Spillane.  Two more tries followed for Mangan. Spillane converted four out of six to leave Killorglin up 0-38 at half time.

Corca Duibhne came more into their own in the second half and playing a wide passing game exploited weaknesses that began to appear in the Killorglin defensive line They scored four tries in total, all on the wings.  Killorglin’s only second half score was when Jack O’Leary picked up from the base of a 5m scrum and drove over.

Final Score Corca Dhuibhne 22 Killorglin 43.

Team: Shane O’Connor, Finnegan O’Sullivan, Donncha Crowley, Daragh Mangan, Anthony Kelliher, Connor Spillane, Aona O’Shea, Mike Teahan, Peadar Whelan, Kevin O’Callaghan, Derry O’Sullivan, Conall Whelan(c), Sean Flynn, Ben O’Dwyer, Jack O’Leary, Subs: Kealan Golden, Cian O’Connor, JP Courtney, James Prendiville.



Killorglin travelled to Kanturk last Saturday in the 2nd round of the West Munster Clun U16 Conference 5.


Killorglin were first on the score board with a try after 15 mins from sustain forward play. Kanturk replied with 3 unanswered tries. Killorglin absorbed the pressure from Kanturks persistence on the try line to go in to the break 15 – 5. Soon after resuming Killorglin started a send half flurry of tries that saw them winning out right as the forwards and back linked in open play breaking the Kanturk defence. Players in new positions stood up to the mark and closed out the game with a score line of 15 – 55. Killorglin’s next game is at home to Abbeyfeale in two weeks’s time


Munster under 18 conference 4 Listowel v Killorglin

Killorglin traveled to Listowel on Saturday 22nd October in third league match of the season. The teams had already met in a challenge match with Listowel the victors. Killorglin kicked off and started well dominating territory. They came close to scoring on two occasions before Padraig O’Sullivan barged over for his first try in competitive rugby! Well done Padraig who’s becoming a serious player in the squad. The conversion was missed but some time later Jim Sugrue kicked a penalty from just inside the 10 metre line for an 8 – 0 lead. Listowel came back into it and with Killorglin dropping their intensity the host team pressed hard and were rewarded with a try just before half time to leave the score 8 -5 at the interval.

The second half saw Killorglin start the better. They had more of the play but frustratingly couldn’t put sequences of play together for long enough to add to the scores. Disappointing infringements and at times unforced errors allowed their opposition to stay with them. It must be said that Listowel were very competitive throughout. Killorglin emptied their bench and the fresh legs helped maintain the upper hand. A penalty awarded to  Killorglin was missed in a very rare lapse by Jim Sugrue and the sideline continued to live on their nerves. Finally, following a long period in Listowel 22, Killorglin found space on the left for Conchubhair Guiney to touch down wide on the left. Jim Sugrue made up for his earlier miss with a brilliant conversion. The final whistle arrived shortly after leaving the visitors winners by 15 – 5. This was our first victory of the season. Hopefully, this will further boost the confidence of an improving team in which every player gave of their best and the scores will begin to flow.


Killorglin made their way back to the top of the J1 Div 3 with a bonus point win at home to Corca Dhuibhne on Sunday. It was a great day for rugby with the sun shining and a dry pitch, the only tough part being a difficult breeze but no team had issues with the conditions before kick off.

Corca Dhuibhne kicked off into the dressing room end with Killorglin taking the ball to them straight away. As usual the tackles came in hard with both teams looking to make a mark. Killorglin made ground early on after a penalty got them field position. After some phases from Killorglin inside the opposition half they won a penalty which was kicked by Luke O’Shea and they led by 3 points after 10 mins.Not long after this Killorglin had a scrum in the Corca Dhuibhne 22. Andrew O’Reilly got the ball to Fionn O’Shea who passed slightly behind John Cronin O’Reilly. O’Reilly did very well when he spun to catch the ball and out of the tackle, he then broke through another 3 tackles to make it in under the posts. Luke converted and Killorglin led 10-0.
Killorglin made it back down the pitch not long after the restart and seemed camped on the Corca Dhuibhne line with repeated scrums. They knocked on the try line but were denied twice by the men from the west. Killorglin tried their look out wide and after an infringement from Corca Dhuibhne, they took a kick at goal which Luke O’Shea didn’t quite connect with and it pushed wide. Killorglin pushed on again and after maul, ruck, maul they finally got reward when Brian Hayes got in for a try. Killorglin led at the break 17-0.
The second half was much the same as the first with Killorglin playing most of the rugby and having most of the possession. A couple of penalties conceded by Corca Dhuibhne got Killorglin into their 22 where they kicked for the corner. Killorglin won the ball in the lineout and as they tried to form the maul Corca Dhuibhne cleverly stood of. Emmet O’Connor was awake though and peeled away on his way for the line. He did extremely well to offload before contact and put in Andrew O’Reilly for the teams third try. The conversion was successful and Killorglin had their tails up. The fourth try was quick in coming. Killorglin secured possession and through quick hands from what seemed like the whole team, The ball ended up wide and in the hands of Tiernan Clifford. He just had to give it some gas and he was over for the first try of his senior Killorglin career.
Killorlgin should have pushed on and gotten further scores but instead Corca Dhuibhne found their groove and went on the attack.After a number of penalties conceded by Killorglin close to the line, Corca Dhuibhne got in under the posts for try which was converted. Corca Dhuibhne spent the rest of the game in the Killoorglin 22 due to repeated penalties concede by the whole Killorglin team. Corca Dhuibhne got over for another try before full time to make it a final score of 29 – 12. Killorglin will be happy with bonus point but not with how they finished the game with 15 second half penalties and a yellow card for Timmy Lynch.
When all is said and done though the men from puck are top of the league on 13 points after 3 games and go to Fermoy on 06th October for another big game. Well done to all