Weekend Report January 22nd 2017

  • January 23, 2017

Only our Seniors were in action this weekend, they had a very exciting game against Dungarvan


Killorglin welcomed Dungarvan RFC to Ballymalis on Sunday, for their 7th league game of the season. Conditions were perfect for what was set to be a very challenging game, with only 7 points between the teams and 2 league games remaining.

Killorglin gained territory early with a line out near the Dungarvan 22. From the line out Killorglin used the width of the pitch and were patient as they looked to find space in the Dungarvan defensive line. Patience paid off as Killorglin were awarded a penalty and Luke O’Shea, as he has done all season, bisected the posts to put the men from Puck 3-0 up early in the game. From the restart Killorglin found themselves deep in their own territory, and they conceded a penalty for crossing in front of the posts. Dungarvan made no mistake and leveled the game 3 a piece. From the kick off Dungarvan were penalized for crossing and Killorglin kicked for touch to put themselves into Dungarvan territory. From the line out Killorglin spread he field, some great carries from Timmy Lynch and Brian Hayes got Killorglin close to the line. Fionn and Luke O’Shea linked up well and found John Michael Cronin O’Reilly powering through the middle, he crashed over the line for Killorglins 1st of the game. O’Shea’s conversion went just wide to leave the score 8-3. Dungarvan were gifted 2 penalties that were within range, one fell just short and the other went wide and Killorglin breathed a sigh of relief as they got off easy after being indisciplined. Dungarvan were pushing for a try and were threatening the line when a great play from Cathal Doyle and Cian Foley held up a Dungarvan player in a great effort to keep Dungarvan out. This play resulted it Killorglin scrum on their own 5 meter line. The game was only seconds from half time, the ball was fed into the scrum and Killorglin knocked the ball on to give Dungravan a scrum on the Killorglin 5 meter line. Killorglin found all their strength and drove Dungarvan back, and ended up with a scrum of their own at their own 22. The ball was kicked into touch, the halftime whistle blew and the scoreline read 8-3 to Killorglin.

The second half featured great rugby from both teams. Luke O’Shea had a great burst through the middle of the pitch, he found Cathal Doyle streaking down the wing, who used his speed and a great kick over the top of the Dungarvan line to push Dungarvan back, resulting in Dungavan being penalized for not releasing. Luke O’Shea added three more points to the score board to put the score at 11-3 to Killorglin. From the restart Killorglin gave away a penalty on their own 10 meter line, Dungarvan opted for the posts and the long range kick sailed straight between the posts. Killorglin’s lead was again cut to 5 points. Killorglin and Dungarvan exchanged penalties, each kick went wide to leave the game at 11-6. Captain Tony Lynch uses his big boot from the 22 drop out to gain ground, but Dungarvan come straight back to find themselves with a scrum 8 meters out from the Killorglin line. What followed next was the best team try Killorglin have scored all year. A massive scrum found Killorglin with their hands on the ball and they started to push forward, Tiarnan Clifford fought off 3 tackles to make his own space on the wing, Seamus Doyle and Liam Griffin supported the play as they cleared out the ruck, Luke O’Shea shifted the play and found Timmy Lynch thundering through the middle, Timmy broke the line and made a 25 meter gain, Fionn O’Shea dug the ball out, got the ball into the hands out out half Luke O’Shea to found Cathal Doyle moving at full pace, with Seamus Doyle in support, Cathal was tackled and from the ground he popped the ball to brother Seamus who turned on the jets and ran in Killorglin’s second try and his first try at senior level from 40 meters out. O’Shea narrowly missed the conversion with the scoreline reading 16-6. With 10 minutes left on the clock the game was far from over. Dungarvan found themselves with a line out 8 meters from the Killorglin touch line, with good use of the maul and tiring Killorglin bodies Dungarvan got over the line for their 1st try of the game. The conversion went wide to leave 5 points between the team and the game finished that way 16-11 to Killorglin.

The Seniors next game is this Sunday January 29th at 2pm away to Tralee RFC in the semi final of the McElligot Cup.

Killorglin face Killarney in their last league game on the season on February 5th at Killarney’s ground in Aghadoe. This game promises to be a cracker as it will be a rematch of the semi final of the Martin O’Sullivan Cup semi final the Killorglin lost to Killarney 23-18 just 2 weeks ago. Please come out and support the lads!