Weekend Report December 11th, 2016

  • December 13, 2016


Killorglin RFC welcomed Midleton RFC to Ballymalis on Sunday in the Munster Junior Cup.
The game started at great pace with heavy hits coming from both sides. Killorglin conceded quite a few penalties and Midleton kicked for touch continuously looking for the first try of the game. Strong Killorglin defense held them out. 30 minutes in to the second half Killorglin conceded another penalty and Midleton opted for the posts. The kick was from long range and just made it over the posts to put Midleton in the lead 3-0, the score remained that way at half time.
The second half of the game saw an exchange of penalties. Killorglin earned a penalty and Luke O’Shea slotted it between the posts to tie up the game. Midleton immediately responded with a converted penalty of their own 6-3 to Midleton. Killorglin marched back up the pitch to convert another penalty, to tie the game at 6 a piece. Killorglin started to apply great pressure but against the run of play Midleton scored a try right underneath the posts, it was converted well to put the score at Killorglin 6 Midleton 13. Killorglin continued to batter the Midleton line but could not find their way through. A scrambled play lead to Midleton’s second try of the game, that was touched down very near to the touchline. The conversion was narrowly missed to put the score at Midleton 18 Killorglin 6. The men from puck could of been down and out but fought back bravely. A Midleton player was sent to the bin for a wreckless tackle in which he did not wrap his arms, giving Killorglin a chance to score while Midleton were down to 14 men. Killorglin earned a penalty near the Midletown 22, scrum half Dave Coffey took it quickly and gained good ground, he popped the ball to Kieran Crowley who made his way over the try line, to put Killorglin back in the game. Luke O’Shea converted it to bring the scoreline to Killorglin 13 Midleton 18. Killorglin’s pushed the tempo of the game but ran out of time, two late converted penalties from Midleton saw the final scoreline read Killorglin 13 Midleton 24. A tough loss for Killorglin however they look toward their next game, this Sunday December 18th against Killarney RFC in the semi final of the Martin O’Sullivan Cup at 2pm in Ballymalis.