Weekend Report April 1st & 2nd 2017

  • April 4, 2017


U14s finished the season on a high with a convincing win over Listowel last Saturday.  Our boys were a bit slow to start and went 7 – 0 behind in the opening minutes, but once they warmed up went on to dominate the game.  Jack O’Brien got four tries and Connor Spillane one with 29 -12 the final result.  Standout players were JP Courtney, Jack O’Leary, James Byrne and Donncha Crowley.

Team: James Byrne, Joe Cronin Langham, Darragh Mangan, Donncha Crowley, Connor Spillane, Aona O’Shea, Mike Teahan, Peadar Whelan, Cian O’Connor, JP Courtney, Derry O’Sullivan, Jack O’Brien, Jack OLeary, Conall Whelan (c). Sub: Sean Flynn


Our Seniors welcomed Killarney RFC to Ballymalis for the final of the J1 Division 3 playoff. These teams have met twice before this season with Killarney being the victors. Unfortunately for our lads the result was to be the same again.

Killorglin started strong and passed the ball at a quick tempo. After 5 minutes of open play Killarney were awarded a scrum. A great push from the Killorglin pack earned a penalty. That decision was reserved when Timmy Lynch was given a yellow card for kicking an opposing player and he would be sent to the bin. Killorglin’s defense held strong and they only conceding 3 points while Lynch was in the bin, it could of been more when Killarney nearly got over the line but a good last ditch effort from full back Seamus Doyle kept Killarney out. With 5 minutes left in the first half Killorglin were rewarded for their good play with a penalty. Luke O’Shea slotted it between the posts and brought Killorglin level. The score would remain 3-3 heading into half time.

The second half wasn’t long underway when Killarney battered the Killorglin line and got over for the games first try, the conversion was struck well and Killarney took the lead 10-3. Killorglin needed to answer and did a few minutes later when captain Tony Lynch got over the line. The conversion was narrowly missed as it sailed just over the right post so Killarney were still in the lead 10-8. Killarney were then gifted a penalty in the Killorglin 22 as discipline, as it has been all season, cost Killorglin another 3 points and Killarney now lead 13-8. Killorglin fought back and were unlucky with a forward pass to stop their advance. As Luke kicked to relieve pressure Cathal Doyle chased down the ball and unfortunately when he went to compete for the ball in the air he misjudged his jump and his arm made contact with the Killarney players head. After the ref conferred with his touch judges it was deemed it was only a yellow card offense, not a red and Cathal was sent to the line. Killarney added 3 more points to their tally and things started to look grim when some quick thinking by Luke O’Shea on his own 22 got Killorglin back in the game. Luke  got the ball to Andrew, who found Rodi who was open on the wing with space ahead of him, Rodi gained good ground and found George inside moving at pace, George took a good step and was away. The defense closed in and with a great pop of the ball George found Tony and Tony turned on the jets and crashed over the line just under the posts.  Killorglin took the conversion quickly, and we now had a one point game. Unfortunately time ran out and Killarney were the victors…. a hard pill to swallow but that lads fought bravely and should be very proud.

The seniors last game of the year is the McElligott Cup Final against Castleisland RFC. This game is set for this Sunday April 9th at 2:30pm in Castleisland. Please come out and support the lads as they look to add to their silverware.