Weekend Match Reports Sunday February 16th, 2020

  • February 20, 2020

With Storm Dennis playing havoc with the weather only one game went ahead this weekend


The eagerly awaited clash of the two unbeaten teams Killorglin and Ennis in Munster junior league div 3 was scheduled for Ballymalis on 16th February. As a result of very heavy rainfall our pitch was unplayable. Tralee very kindly agreed to request for use of the top pitch there which is in perfect condition. Still the challenge of gale force winds and sleet showers remained.
In these conditions Ennis kicked off into the gale and straight away dominated possession and territory. Killorglin remained composed and strong in tackling. After 15 minutes Killorglin got foothold in Ennis territory while beginning to dominate scrums. This led to a penalty on 10 metre line expertly kicked by Luke O;Shea. Killorglin dominated the remainder of the half and came close twice to tries. Their only reward was a brilliant penalty from right hand touchline by Luke O’Shea leaving half time score at 6-0.

Killorglin started the second half. The tone was set when Ennis brought play to Killorglin 22 but a succession of strong carries by the pack brought play back to half way. Both teams attempted to move the ball wide but conditions disrupted efforts. With Killorglin scrum rampant and carrying strong they spent long periods in possession. 12 minutes from time Ennis were penalized at scrum. Luke O’Shea attempted the penalty just outside the 22. The ball was blown back short of the posts but fielded by Darragh O’Shea and Josh Morell. Killorglin attacked fiercely. Off a great line Mike Breen was held up inches short but Stephen Cotter drove over for a defining score with conversion by Luke O’Shea. Killorglin dominated again but two minutes from time Ennis scored an interception try that was converted to set up a nervy finish until final whistle. This was a commanding, composed and immense performance by the whole team. On to Dunmanway next Sunday for round 10 of the league