Weekend Match Reports October 6th & 7th

  • October 8, 2018

Weekend Match Reports for October 6th & 7th


The U16s started their Munster League Conference 2 campaign with defeat to Killarney in Aghadoe on Saturday. Killorglin brought plenty of intensity but went behind early when a couple of mistakes were efficiently punished by a very big and athletic Killarney backline. Playing a structured game based on complete lineout and scrum dominance and some good kicking from hand by James Byrne, Killorglin came back into it as the first half progressed. Rudy Glinwood was held up over the Killarney line and a promising eight – nine move off a close in scrum broke down when the referee got in the way, so despite all the pressure Killorglin trailed at half time by 2 tries to none.

In the second half Killorglin were guilty of chasing the game too hard when keeping our structure and discipline would have served better. The exchanges remained fierce with big tackles and rucking from both sides, but Killarney capitalised on poor Killorglin handling to go further ahead. Eventually Ruari Dorrian got on the end of a grubber kick to touch down for Killorglin’s only score of the game. Stand out player for Killorglin on the day was Joe Cronin-Langham who put in a very brave defensive shift at full back.

Killarney 20 Killorglin 5.

Team: Joe Cronin Langham, Kealan O’Connor, Ruari Dorrian, Donncha Crowley, Fergal O’Shea, James Byrne (C), Aona O’Shea, Mike Teahan, Peadar Whelan, Rudy Glinwood, James Prendiville, JP Courtney, Jack O’Brien, Derry O’Sullivan, Conall Whelan. Subs: Kevin O’Callaghan, Dylan McDonough, Ben O’Dwyer, Cathal Daly.


Killorglin U18’s kicked off their 2018/19 season with a narrow and courageous defeat at home to Castleisland on Saturday afternoon.
Killorglin got off to a good start when Castleisland tried to play out of their 22 and after good pressure from the home side Micheal Casey intercepted a loose pass and touched down under the post. Jack Evans converted. Castleisland responded immediately and hammered the Killorglin line. A quick tap on the right hand side from 5 meters out resulted in a try from Castleisland which they converted. They added a second try straight from the kick off when the receiver beat the first two tackles and ran the length of the pitch to touch down and extend the lead within a minute.
It was a bad 5 minutes for Killorglin who then had Cormac Doyle red carded and a yellow for Richard Wallace 5 mins later.
Down to 13 men and Killorglin really played as a team. They didn’t concede any points while they had a man in the bin and even managed to kick a penalty to narrow the gap at half time.
Killorglin started the second half very well with an improving scrum and line out despite being a man down and had the lions share of possession. A great passage of play involving the whole team led to Stevie O’Sullivan cleverly finding space to touch down and Jack Evans converted well. Killorglin led by 1.
Castleisland were able make the extra man advantage count however when a tiring Killorglin just couldn’t do enough to keep Castleisland out. The conversion was missed and with 7 mins left Killorglin still had a chance. It was not to be however as possession was hard to come by and Castleisland held out to take the win. A great performance by Killorglin who performed heroically against the odds in their first game of the season.
The U18’s next game is Saturday October 13th in Listowel, KO at 12:15 pm


Killorglin traveled to Scariff for the second league match. Conditions  were dry but extremely windy. Killorglin kicked off and while in the Scariff half couldn’t get close to scoring. Scariff then attacked and came close to a try but a great turnover by Mike O’Connor enabled the lines to be cleared.
The first score came after 29 minutes when Luke O’Shea scored a difficult penalty. This spurred on Killorglin who dominated the rest of the half and scored three more penalties for a half-time score of 12-0.
Scariff came back into it in early part of second half and were awarded a penalty in front of the posts and a yellow card for Killorglin, Killorglins lead was cut to 9. This was followed a few minutes later by a breakaway try for Scariff with conversion narrowing the gap to 2 points. Killorglin showed their team spirit by increasing intensity and dominating despite being down a man. Andrew O’Reilly scored a great try near the posts. Bizarrely,  Scariff were allowed to run out to pick up the ball before Luke O’Shea started his run up. Ten minutes later Scariff scored a penalty to make it 17-13. However, following a block down by Timmy Lynch, Tommy Moriarty caught and ran towards the try line. Timmy Lynch provided great support to score in the corner. Killorglin had the better of the rest of the game with a flowing attacking move involving strong running by Patrick Scannell almost yielding a try for Kevin Courtney. Final whistle arrived shortly after with Killorglin 22-13 victors in a team performance to which everyone contributed of their best.
The Seniors next game is Sunday October 14th in Tralee int he Martin O’Sullivan Cup. KO 2pm