Weekend Match Reports January 25th & 26th 2020

  • January 30, 2020


Pan Munster U16 Killorglin 7 Crosshaven 14

 A good game but a disappointing result at Ballymalis on Saturday.  The Killorglin performance was below the levels we have seen in recent games and some poor decision making along with a failure to protect the ball in contact meant the home side struggled for long periods in this game.  Crosshaven played their part but it has to be said that better first up tackling would have prevented both of their first half tries, which were converted from tricky angles go give the visitors a deserved 0-14 lead at half time.  In the second half Killorglin did better and some good continuity put Derry O’Sullivan in for a try under the posts.  Despite a very strong scrum, good lineout and some powerful individual carrying Killorglin were still making the wrong choices with the ball and turning over possession, so the score remained 7-14 and Crosshaven were happy to run the ball out over the touchline as soon as time was up.

Killorglin are away to Skibbereen and Mallow in the remaining two group games with qualification for the quarter finals still possible in a tight group.

 Killorglin Scorers: Derry O’Sullivan 1 try, Joe Cronin Langham 1 conversion.

 Team: Joe Cronin Langham, Noah Diosee, Donncha Crowley, Aona OShea (c), Derry O’Sullivan, Tom Garry, Colin Griffin,, Mike Teahan, Ben O’Dwyer, Peadar Whelan, Cathal Daly, James Prendiville, Donnachadh O’Connor, Enda O’Shea, Adam Casey.  Subs: Shane Moriarty, Adrian Johnston, Dylan McDonough, Joe Final, Cillian Roirdan, Thomas Hilliard.



Munster Junior Cup Second Round
Killorglin 22 Kanturk 27
Killorglin kicked off at Ballymalis in good conditions. In their first attack, the ball was spread wide, Josh Morell burst for the line. He passed as tackled to Darragh O’Shea who touched down in the corner for a try that Luke O’Shea converted. Ten minutes later Killorglin scored a penalty by Luke O’Shea to go ten points up. After 20 minutes Killorglin launched an attack from a lineout in Kanturk half. A succession of hard carries by the Killorglin forwards brought play towards the posts. Luke O’Shea convinced the Kanturk defence he was going right before slipping an inside pass to Stephen Cotter who galloped to the line for 7 more points for home team. From play after restart Killorglin were penalised and Kanturk got first three points. Killorglin continued to attack. An attacking lineout was illegally robbed by Kanturk but situation got much better as Rob Lynch intercepted scrum half pass and slipped ball to Josh Morell for a third try and 22- 3 lead. Kanturk immediately made 3 substitutions who all made huge impacts. By half time they had scored two tries to make score at the break 22-17
The second half started with a very even contest. Kanturk established territory and ultimately scored on the left to lead for the first time. Killorglin stuck to their task but the only other score in the game was a penalty for Kanturk. Killorglin will be disappointed to have lost such a lead but will reflect on giving a team at top of division above them such a good game. The focus returns to league now with next game away v Dunmanway on February 9th.