Weekend Match Reports February 22nd & 23rd 2020

  • February 25, 2020


U16s Munster Bowl quarter final. Galbally/Kilfeacle 27 Killorglin 10.

The U16s season came to a close on Sunday as they bowed out away to Galbally/Kilfeacle. The long bus journey and the mid term absence of some key backs were evident in the first half, played into a strong breeze. Killorglin were pinned into their own half and lacked the penetration to exit. They withstood the home side for the first quarter but were eventually unlocked by a training ground play off the scrum that created a physical mismatch on the wing to give Galbally Kilfeacle their first try. Encouraged by this and with the referee taking a dim view of Killorglin at the breakdown the home team extended their lead to 17-0 by half time.

The second half was better from Killorglin, and tactical changes paid off when Donnachadh O’Connor, switched to centre from the back row, crossed for a try in the corner.  Galbally- Kilfeacle responded to make it 22-5. The Killorglin scrum was dominant throughout the game and this was rewarded when No 8 Adam Casey picked and drove over from 10 meters. With conditions deteriorating 22-10 was a good as it got for the visitors and Galbally had the final say when they scored again after strong carrying from their pack.

For Killorglin on the day Aona OShea was our man of the match while Killian Spillane and Cillian Riordan also did well. In the pack,  apart from our two Iveragh try scorers, Enda OShea, Peadar Whelan and Ben O’Dwyer were not for taking any backward steps and carried, jackalled and rucked hard all game. The whole squad deserves credit for their second half performance after a difficult start. We look forward to seeing them back in competitive action for the 2020/21 season.

Killorglin Try Scorers: Donnachadh OConnor, Adam Casey.

Team: Joe Cronin Langham, Thomas Hilliard, Cillian Riordan, Aona OShea (c), Colin Griffin Tom Garry, Killian Spillane, Mike Teahan, Ben O’Dwyer, Peadar Whelan, Cathal Daly, James Prendiville, Donnachadh O’Connor, Enda O’Shea, Adam Casey.  Subs: Shane Moriarty, Adrian Johnston, Joe Final.


Killorglin U18.5’s hosted Ennis RFC in difficult conditions on Saturday in the quarterfinal of the Pan Munster Bowl.
Killorglin looked like they might get an early opening try when James Byrne intercepted the ball, charged up the pitch and popped the ball to the speedy Jamie O’Leary, Jamie was was hauled down 10 meters from the try line. Killorglin were awarded a penalty and took the lead 3-0 through the reliable boot of Jack Evans. Ennis fought back and were rewarded with a well worked team try in the corner, the conversion drifted wide, the scoreline now 5-3 to Ennis. Conditions worsened but Killorglin were awarded another penalty within kick-able range, and Jack Evans again added the 3 points against the wind.
Ennis had a kick-able penalty before half time but it drifted wide to leave the halftime score 6-5 to the boys from Puck. Killorglin started much better in the second half, Cormac Doyle came within 3 meters of the Ennis line but Ennis turned over the ball. Ennis again found themselves deep in their own territory, a pass went stray and Jack O’Brien pounced on it and touched down for Killorglin’s first try. Jack Evans added the extras, 13-5 Killorglin.
Ennis scored a try under the posts from a scrum with 10 minutes to go, making for a long 10 minutes for Killorglin but our boys did well to hold on to the ball and win 13-12 and advance to the semi finals.


The seniors travelled to Dunmanway on Sunday knowing a bonus point victory would seal promotion to Division 2.
Killorglin started strong with some good team play, and exchange of penalties and knocks on made it hard for either team to get going. From a well executed lineout and some good team play Fionan O’Sullivan showed great strength to touch down the games first try. The conversion drifted just wide to leave the score 5-0 in favour of Killorglin. Killorglin started pouring on the pressure and from another effective lineout inside the Dunmanway 22 Steven Cotter did very well to find space and touch down the teams second try. Luke O’Shea added the extras, 12-0 to Killorglin. Dunmanway came back strong and camped out on Killorglins line, Killorglin were shown a yellow card for repeated high tackles however a massive tackle from Steven Cotter forced his name back and Killorglin turned over the ball and we were on the front foot again. Nearly at the stroke of half time Timmy Lynch added try number 3, the halftime whistle blew and Killorglin knew they needed one more try.
After half time Killorglin went pushing for their bonus point try and were nearly rewarded when Tommy Moriarty got over the line but was held up. On the next possession Timmy Lynch did very well to get over the ruck and dot down his 2nd and the teams 4th very important try. O’Shea again added the extras
Killorglin fell asleep at the wheel for a bit and Dunmanway took advantage and were rewarded with a try of their own which was well converted. Some fresh legs came on for Killorglin and they were well rewarded when Andrew O’Reilly, club veteran who has played for the club for the last 19 seasons, scored his first try in at least 5 years!
Final scoreline Killorglin 29 Dunmanway 7. Killorglin are promoted to division 2!