Weekend Match Report January 20, 2018

  • January 23, 2018



The u12’s traveled to Tralee to take part in a blitz on Saturday, playing games against Killarney, Listowel and two Tralee teams. Three players made their debuts in blitzs; Rioghan and Deirdre scoring great tries and Cormac playing excellently, especially in the scrum and lineout. Further tries were scored by Mathew, Gerry, Callum and Adam. Callum’s try was especially impressive, running the length of the pitch, beating multiple defenders before touching down. The results on the day were mixed but the Killorglin squad never stopped competing strongly, working hard right until the end in each game.




Killorlgin U16’s welcomed the amalgamated team of Shannan/Garryowen/Old Crescent to Cromane community pitch for what was a very close match.  Shannan/Garryowen/Old Crescent took first blood in  the first 5 minutes with a try right under the posts, the conversion was good and they took the lead 7-0. Killorglin attacked well but couldn’t seem to break through the strong Limerick sides defense. From a Shannon/Garryown/Old Crescent maul Killorglin’s Adam Clarke did very well as ripped the ball, broke free of the maul and sprinted up the pitch, he was tackled about 10 meters from touch. Unfortunately Killorglin couldn’t finish off the break and the teams went into half time with Shannon/Garryown/Old Crescent leading 7-0.
Killorglin got off to a better second half, looking stronger in the scrums and they were counter rucking with attitude. They were rewarded with a great break from fly half Shogie O’Sullivan who took a quick step near the half way line, the Shannon/Garryowen/Old Crescent defense opened like the red sea and Shogie ran the try in from halfway and touched down near the corner flag. That left him with a difficult conversion against a very strong wind, the kick dropped short but Killorglin found themselves back in the game only trailing 7-5.
Moments later, Killorglin winger James Byrne broke through several tackles on a brilliant run up the pitch, Killorglin were excellent at the break down and they got the ball into the hands of Adam Clarke. Clarke used his strength and shook off 2 or 3 tackles and bursted towards the try line and touch down under the posts, O’Sullivan converted and Killorglin now lead 12-7.
Killorglin were in the drivers seat and looked like they were going to seal the victory when they were questioningly penalized for being offside. From the resulting penalty Shannon/Garryowen/Old Crescent crashed over the line. The try was converted and Killorglin were only left with a few minutes to try and retake the lead. From the restart the Limerick side mishandled the kick and the ball went into touch. Conall Whelan who was excellent all day in the lineout, stole the ball and Adam Clarke went to work pushing up the park. The play was whistled down for injury. This left time for one last play, a scrum to Killorglin… Shannon/Garryowen/Old Cresent were excellent in the scrum and gained possession, kicked the ball into touch to end the game.
Final Score Shannon/Garryown/Old Crescent 14 Killorglin 12. Killorglin played a great game of rugby and should be very proud of their performance
TheSouth Kerry U18 side hosted Bantry RFC at the Cromane community pitch in a friendly on Saturday. South Kerry were impressive running in 6 tries, is what will prove a great warm up match for there Cup game against Cashel/Fethard next weekend.
Tries were scored by Jack Evans (2), Jack Sheehy, Mike O’Connor, Patrick Scannell and Eoin O’Suilleabhain.
Jack Evans converted 3 of the tries.
The Seniors were due to play Castleisland in the semi final of the McElligott Cup. The game was called off due to an unplayable pitch.