Weekend Match Report January 13th & 14th 2018

  • January 16, 2018


U 18’s South Kerry
Under 18s Challenge Match  South Kerry v Tralee
Good flowing match with both teams trying to develop their games. The score was level a 7 a piece at  half time. Early try by South Kerry (Shane Looney)  was equalized on half time by Tralee. South Kerry stepped up in second half with scores from Richard Wallace, Mike Oconnor and Jack Hallisey with conversions by Jack Evans and Oisin Daly. Final Score Tralee 7 South Kerry 24.
The seniors traveled to Bantry for the first round of the Munster Junior Cup. The pitch was soft and Killorglin played uphill for the first half. Killorglin started on a good note with an early converted penalty from the reliable boot of Luke O’Shea. Bantry looked threatening when they broke through the Killorglin line but Neil O’Shea came up with a great tackle to stop their advance. Not long later, Mike Daly went for an intercept but only managed to knock the ball down, Bantry had a penalty right in front of the posts about 40 meters out. The Bantry fly half struck the ball well and tied the game 3 all. A great break from Rodi Healy saw Killorglin march up the pitch. They were rewarded with a penalty right in front of the posts about 20 meters out. Again Luke O’Shea made no mistake and put his team back into the lead 6-3. With 7 minutes to go in the half Killorglin were looking threatening when a Bantry player went down injured. There was no foul play from what could be seen on the sideline however somehow Noel O’Malley was shown yellow. Killorglin gave away a penalty a few minutes later that was in kickable range for Bantry, the kick drifted wide and Killorglin went into the second half 6-3 up.
Killorglin really started to hit their stride in the second half. Bantry were on the attack when Tom Healy ripped a ball from the Bantry forward and that started a great attack. Killorglin drove up the pitch and with a long pass Luke O’Shea found Tony Lynch near with wing, Tony bobbled the pass but he managed to hold on to the ball and drive over the line. O’Shea’s conversion drifted wide which left the scoreline 11-3 to the men from Puck. Moments later Killorglin again were knocking on the door. Big runs from Tiarnan Clifford and Timmy Lynch put Killorglin in excellent position. The ball then went through the hands of Dave Coffey, Luke O’Shea, Tony Lynch to Rodi Healy, Rodi got the ball to a streaking Neil O’Brien who crashed over for his first senior try on his debut. The difficult conversion got caught by the wind and drifted wide. Scoreline 16-3 to Killorglin.
Killorglin looked to be in the drivers seat until Captain Tony Lynch was shown yellow for a tip tackle. A massive effort from the whole team was put in to see us through the 10 minute sin bin without conceding a score. The Bantry discipline went downhill, they were shown 2 yellow cards in quick succession. The final score of the game again came from the boot of O’Shea as he converted a penalty leaving the final score 19-3 to Killorglin.
Next up the Seniors make the short trip to Castleisland next Saturday for the semi final of the McElligott Cup. KO is at 2:30pm, all support welcome.
Tony Lynch x 1
Neil O’Brien x 1
Luke O’Shea x 3