Match Reports January 4th & 5th 2020

  • January 10, 2020


Killorglin/Iveragh v Tralee in O’Dowd park in Tralee. Tralee started strong and scored 2 converted tries in first 5 minutes. Killorglin/Iveragh came back to score 5 minutes before half time try score by Jake Curran converted by Conall Courane leaving the score 14 to 7 at half time.
Again Tralee started strong scoring first then Conall Courane went over and converted for Killorglin/Iveragh. Killorglin/Iveragh battled strong for the rest of the game but tralee scored at the end to secure the game on a score of 26 to 14.


Pan Munster U16 Killorglin 37 Carrick on Suir 36

The u16s commenced their pan Munster campaign at Cromane last Sunday when they hosted Carrick on Suir in perfect conditions. A mistake from the kick off led to the visitors left winger opening the scoring, but after that it was all Killorglin. Showing great confidence with the ball in hand the home team dominated the first half while Carrick did themselves no favours by repeatedly going off their feet at the breakdown and illegally slowing the ball. Adam Casey got the first try for Killorglin and that was quickly followed by another from Noah Diosee. Donncha Crowley got another, and then the home team turned over the opposition scrum in their 22 and sent Aona O’Shea in for another and when Joe Cronin Langham crossed it left the half time score at 27-5.

Early in the second half Peadar Whelan crashed over for Killorglin’s sixth try after good build up play from James Prendiville and at 32-5 the game looked over.  Carrick on Suir to their great credit had other ideas. In a 15 minute period they scored 5 tries of their own, mainly by getting the ball to their talented outside centre, who finished the game on a hat trick. Carrick’s better conversion rate meant the home team were now 32-36 behind with 2 minutes remaining, and things were not looking good.

From the restart Carrick were tackled into touch. The resulting lineout was secured and Donncha Crowley carried into the visitors 22, where a ferocious battle ensued for about 10 phases until Derry OSullivan powered his way over the line to touch down with the final play of the game.

Killorglin Try Scorers Adam Casey, Noah Diosee, Donncha Crowley, Aona O’Shea, Joe Cronin Langham. Peadar Whelan, Derry O’Sullivan.  Colin Griffin 1 conversion.


Team: Joe Cronin Langham, Noah Diosee, Donncha Crowley, Aona OShea (c), Colin Griffin, Tom Garry , Killian Spillane, Mike Teahan, Ben O’Dwyer, Peadar Whelan, Cathal Daly, James Prendiville, Donnachadh O’Connor, Enda O’Shea, Adam Casey.  Subs: Shane Moriarty, Adrian Johnston, Kevin O’Callaghan, Fergal O’Shea, Joe Final, Derry O’Sullivan, Cathal Curran, Eoghan Joy, Thomas Hilliard.



Munster Junior League Div 3 and Munster Junior Cup Round 1
Killorglin 14 Killarney 11
This match was a double up fixture of postponed league game from December with Munster Junior Cup played in good conditions at Ballymalis. Killarney kicked off with the breeze favouring them, starting better with the home team hesitant. A penalty after 9 minutes saw Killarney ahead. Killorglin attacked from the restart but suffered loss of Shane O’Neill with an ankle injury at first lineout. The game was closely contested with Killorglin settling to the game. On the half hour they were awarded a penalty between the 10 metre line and 22 which was kicked magnificently by Luke O’Shea. No further score to half time leaving the game finely balanced.

5 minutes into the second half, Killorglin were awarded a penalty following good attacking play. This was kicked by Luke O’Shea to see the home team into the lead for first time. This only lasted 5 minutes as Killarney scored a penalty  from right hand side to level scores. Killorglin regained the lead some time later with another fine penalty by Luke O’Shea. Killorglin had a lot of territory for next period.  Kevin Courtney was close to scoring when tackled but Timmy Lynch seized on the ball to dive over for a crucial 8 point lead. From here both sides fought hard with no clear advantage. Killarney attacked strongly in dying moments and ultimately got a try on left wing with last play of the game. The conversion attempt hit the post to leave Killorglin victorious by 14 points to 11 in a clean, well contested game of rugby. Next week Killorglin travel to Corca Dhuibhne for vital league game. All support welcome!!